Anyone know what I can re-x tryptamine from?

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Pretty much all in the title for my next low temperature reductive amination to other psychedelic tryptamines…n,n-DET, this time but that’s not really the point.

I’m also wondering if I should just salt some out in order for it to store better. Maybe as the benzoate? Think it was that one that was fairly stable…then I can liberate it from its salty prison in small amounts every time I actually need to run a RXN…it is more annoying but not hugely.
Certainly not as annoying as having 400+g go to waste! Ha

gnbarsh3463_11

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
What are you trying to do? Recrystallize N,N-DET or unsubstituted tryptamine for purifying it? In case of DET, a hot heptane/hexane extraction will do the trick, just like regular DMT. In case of tryptamine, it can be done even easier, depends on quantity that you use, 400g of tryptamine is a lot, and maybe in this case a vacuum distillation will be better. Also, a Soxlet extractor can be used if you have one but again if you really have 400g of tryptamine to purify it's easier to distill it under good vacuum.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Sorry yeah, I meant the original tryptamine, I actually ended up having quite good results using ethyl acetate to re-x from….it went from small opaque/tan/yellow small crystal to a larger translucent ‘sugary’ looking crystals.….and why? Just to ensure purity before doing the diethylation, as when I have tried the dimethylation up until now, I have had pretty bad yields And i’m trying to work out where I can improve my general practice of doing chemistry. I decided to basically assume most things have a small impurity in them and therefore do a simple re-x first to see what’s what….I mean surely it can’t do anything bad after all…

Also I wasn’t saying I am going to re-x it all at once - it’s the sort of thing that can be done as i use it, the night before I do a reaction or the day before and have it dry in the desiccator over night…

It’s not SUPER dirty stuff that I decarboxylated from tryptophan myself or anything. It’s something I bought from china but wanted to see how clear and big of a crystal I could turn it into lol

No, honestly I just figured incorporating it into my general technique seemed like a good idea….

Talking of distilling stuff without destroying it I did just buy a short path distillation head…it was cheap tho, bought it coz of that, not for anything in particular.

I have a lot of tryptamine because I am working my way through as many different aldehyde’s and subsequent reduction’s as possible and I don’t sell anything. Iv done LOTS of n,n-DMT in my life but very few other tryptamines and so I’m only doing small reactions at a time - simply to try these compounds.

its nice to know i can turn it into whatever basic tryptamine i want, as long as I can get the correct aldehyde. I think that’s cool…

I also have 500g of 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde - why? Because I have never tried mescaline or TMA.
Am I going to make anywhere near close to 250g of each? Certainly not at once but in my whole life-time? …probably lol

Also it’s hard to buy from china unless you buy either 500g or 1000g because they sell huge amounts.

Actually the only reagent I have seen sold in smaller quantities was the 2,5-DMOBA I got 50g of but he probably wasn’t supposed to sell me it lol I recrystallised that also….why? Black or grey market sources…

Swirly

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Entry from Purification of Laboratory Chemicals, 6th edition:

Solubility not given. I have some 5-MeO-Tryptamine and I understand that one more so than tryptamine needs to be white and pure before proceeding with a reaction.

I am thinking of trying Hailstorm's method:

They also had success with 5-MeO-T.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I had some luck with ethyl acetate to be fair…in the end…

It just turned it from little shard crystals to more see through and sugary granule looking.

I do understand that the 99% stuff works straight out the bag, I just figure it can’t hurt can it….

In my experience it’s just good practice to re-x your reagents…

DavidNichols

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
DET is unstable tryptamine no matter what salt you make. DPT is the much better if you need to store it long time.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Oh that’s interesting. I’m sure it’s been sold as an RC over the years and pretty sure they sold it as the fumarate but no I intend to keep it to try a few times…that’s about it.
It just happened that I could obtain acetaldehyde that’s all really…

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I plan to work through if I can

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
@DavidNichols

Oh my god! I was just looking for half dodgy suppliers of propionaldehyde so I can see for myself whether DPT is so much better than DET.
I always just assume reagents I need for syntheses are unavailable in this country but actually quite a few of the simple aldehydes are actually available…

I had no idea! What an idiot…

Just goes to show, it pays to actually research what is watched, what isn’t and what is just easily available! 😱