Question 3D printing pill press punch dies

fosties

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I'm looking for a very long time for a good resource for pill punch dies.
I know Alibaba etc got them but the import to Europe and customs are my problem.

My plan was to print just the tip with the logo on one or maybe two sides of the punch dies.

I already got dies without logo, so if there is a material which 3d printable and robust enough for a few docents of prints, it would be enough.
Because of the size/price of the print, changing a logo tip after a few presses won't be a problem.

Has anybody experience with 3d printers and could tell me if that idea could work?

Beeing able to produce a pill press with legal/available parts and a 3d printer would be a cool idea, which goes with the spirit of this forum!

r4In3r

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Hey,
of course is this feasible. If you want to go highest definition, use sla-printers. These can accomplish resolutions as small as 25 microns, but they are more expensive then fdm-printers. But with these you can improve your resolution by using a 0.2mm nozzle. With fdm-printers just make sure to use 100% infill to make the dies as strong as possible.

The-Hive

Moderator in UK section
Resident
Reaction score
Deals

r4In3r

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Yes this would be a solid start. I guess the casting is not needed or I would try first without, just the raw print. If you have a press, where you just insert some dies, I see no problem.

The-Hive

Moderator in UK section
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
am Thinking off buying one unless someone beats me to it

Dr. MMX

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
things like that you do of steel
its small element, you can order it on company that has cnc machines

its small print and requires good resolution, so fdm printer isnt really the good choice, becasue the work needed to finish it will be very hard and honestly impossible

most of the resins for photopolymers dont have such atributes as polymers for fdm. Usualyl they are not really strong and they will just grind from any contact.
Ofc there are more specific resins, actually there is a lot of more to choice than "classic" widely used polymers. But they are very expensive and you have to know how to use them to get their capabilities

Dr. MMX

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
it will work but a lot of *****ing around will be about that, in my opinion its not optimal choice
just find some local ***** machine builder who has drilling machines and he will do it for you for not even 50 euro or so