Question Advice on LCMS testing?

muscleup

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hello I am reaching out in hopes that you may be able to give me some advice. I tried posting last week in the Harm Reduction section here but I haven't seen any responses. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure a few things out.

I have been a long time user of anabolic steroids. Long enough that I consider myself a part of the community at large.

Recently I've noticed a lot of vendors seem to be selling mislabeled product. It is my belief that most underground labs that are finishing the raw powders into finished product don't have access to any kind of lab testing so in many cases even the labs themselves don't know the quality of the product they ship. Unfortunately this has a real world expense to a LOT of people. With anabolic steroids its different that a short lived acid trip. People are messing with their hormones which affect so many bodily processes. Most steroids are very safe when used responsibly and there is a huge community of people out there that NEED hormones like Testosterone to treat real issues. I guess I could go on and on... and I recently got a bad product that really messed with me.

I have money. I've done well financially and I'd be interested in purchasing some lab testing equipment to test products for myself and my community. I think I would need LCMS and even used systems on ebay seem to run about $10k.

But assuming I was ok with the cost. Is it even legal for me to own equipment like this in the U.S.? And if I bought it how big would the learning curve be to use it? I'm more than confident I could recover the cost of the equipment by offering testing services to the community but where am I going wrong??? And advice or tips? I'd love to get thoughts from someone that knows what they are doing.

- MuscleUp

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello. Briefly:
LC-MS has cost 70-100k usd + ~10% of price for maintains per year. You need detached room for this.
You have to know basic chemistry and be engineer in order to work with this equipment. It is really not simple thing.
It is legal to use and buy without problems.

muscleup

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have been trying to do a little more research and it seems like most guys in the anabolic steroid world are using HPLC rather than LCMS to test steroids. Is this possible? LCMS machines seem to be much cheaper and probably easier to use. How could I find out if an HPLC machine will test anabolic steroid raw powders and finished products?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Yes, LC and HPLC have different pump but use same techs
It is wrong, they have quite high price as well. If you not a chemist/engineer better to order analysis from professional labs.

muscleup

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Know any lab here in the U.S. that would work on substances like this under the table? Otherwise most of my research has shown that almost everyone posting test results for steroids are HPLC not LCMS.

Looks like an HPLC machine can be found for $2,000-4,000. Would it be possible to train myself to test a small list of substances?