4mmc synthes in ethyl acetate

The Villain

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Does anyone know, at what temperature and for how long the synthesis of 4mmc takes, using the ethyl acetate solvent ?

Is it the same as in toluen or benzen
3 hours and heat 60 degrees ?

TheVacuumGuy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
video says:
- no heating
- 20 minutes reaction time
- color changes very visible

my experience is :
- keep at 40
- 30 minutes reaction time
- color changes are subtle, but at some point it will turn brown (when dark yellow, just wait more).

PharmacopeiaLabs

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
is this timeframe without using triethylamine?
Just 2b4m,methylamine and ethyl acetate?
as far as i understand, ethyl acetate makes the reaction much faster than DCM, correct me if am wrong.

View previous replies…

PharmacopeiaLabs

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
you don't prefer it due to lower yields?
also what is the average yield someone should expect from using EA?
also is the acidification procedure the same as with using DCM when using EA?

TheVacuumGuy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I dont care about yield percentage game since it's all margins talk. I'll explain below.

To your question: when done correctly, ~55% is possible.
Acidification process is more or less the same.
Check out the Video (and thread), and New thread

More than yields, I care about failures. And in ethylacetate ( even more than in DCM ) , risk of screwing it up are higher. When using ethylacetate as your reaction solvent, acidification can result in a dark mess, and/or no precipitate (+ a full trashcan). In terms of yield that is 0.

Any other method which gives only 30% yield, but is more robust, is a clear winner imho.

However, ethylacetate is life saver when using DCM as the reaction solvent, to replace acetone for acidification, which reduces the chance of bright colored paint in your product to nearly zero.
But doing so comes with a price, which is (when not having some pro drying equipment) harder to dry your product in a timely and correct matter, causing tinted crusts which needs removal before crystallization (or just crush, but better to cut those away (inside is nice white, but moist, powder).

Dr. MMX

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
I do have a feeling that EA is easiest solvent, literally always clean job. I dont know what happened that you say its easy to do mistake. I think just patient 1 drop a sec on acidification gives always good result. If somebody is hurry and will change its dripping rate then its real risk to fail - its true

I did successful acidification on DCM using acetone, color was almost white - as well 1 drip of acid per sec, but when i tried ethyl acetate another time it was while so I admit using acetone is harder with DCM, but in general acetone has its advantages.
Both cases i didnt get really sucessful yield, as i remember about 50% (dcm) but I dont really remember what I did exactly becasue it was while ago and I was testing some "new things"

TheVacuumGuy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Sidenote: I have no degree in chemistry.
What I described above is just my experience and may, or may not be, scientifically correct.