Question bitcoin atms?

smuser86

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Hi. I stumbled onto one of those ATM machines that offer to buy bitcoins, so I figured I would just scan a QR code that was given to me by one of the online platforms in order to add funds to my account. The problem is, the stupid thing requires your tax number, so if I specify it when buying the coins, this would basically be saying 'hey cops, I'm gonna buy some drugs, here's my bitcoin wallet ID and all my personal information including my home address just in case if you'd like to come in for a cup of coffee'. They even state that if you specify your tax number incorrectly, there might be a delay in the processing of the transaction, so I assume if you just type in some random digits it simply won't work (Am I wrong about that?)

On the other hand, I figured that these bitcoin wallets are individual, I assume that nobody but myself will ever use them, so they're not linked to any other transactions that could be deemed as illicit. Do you think it still worth trying?

Anyway, what do you think would be the best way to buy some bitcoins for such purposes without attracting too much attention? I thought that this would be much easier, but apparently it gets complicated when you want to buy an "anonymous" currency without actually giving out all your personal information to the feds. Should I register my own wallet and then go looking for some P2P traders, and then use my personal wallet to make a transaction to the platform? I assume that an average drug user named Joe who likes to take some H once in a while wouldn't bother himself with such nuisances. Do people just simply register a wallet somewhere on coinbase and then purchase bitcoins with their credit cards?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, I'm just very new on this topic and don't actually understand how this all works.