Question question about cas 5449 hydrolysis

lapgan1

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
i started with 10g cas 5449 in 20g water, after adding hcl acid to ph 1, the bottom yellow layer appeared, it did not float to the surface and was red like other reports, i continued heating for 1 hour and it appears more oil, I want to ask if this oil can be used to do the next step without further refining?

Attachments

• gqStbQT8Hn.jpg
    gqStbQT8Hn.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Stirring is important. Red color is a very bad sign as this is polymerized P2P. P2P has a density of 1,02 g/ml, so it is heavier then water. Except the water contains enough of something what makes it heavier. Like the salt formed when you add the acid. If you used a lot of water - what is very good - the density of water and P2P might become to similar to separate properly. Add more salt - NaCl - dishwasher regeneration salt - and P2P wioll go to the top. Or add solvent at the end. If your oil is clear and has only a slightly yellow tint then its good enough to be used in the next step directly. Otherwise distill or steamdistill.

robby771

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Whether you can use it without further refining depends on how pure it needs to be for the next step. If the next step isn’t sensitive to impurities, you might proceed. However, if it needs to be clean, it’s better to purify the oil first by washing or extracting it.