Did big business take over MJ?

Brain

Expert Pharmacologist
Reaction score
FyJp4D8M73

A couple of years ago, when President Biden announced his intention to revise U.S. marijuana laws and pardon those who had been convicted of minor federal possession of the substance, it seemed that the long-awaited changes sought by proponents of legalization had finally begun to take place.

However, critics were quick to point out a major pitfall in Biden's proposal to reclassify cannabis. It is currently considered a Schedule 1 drug, along with heroin and LSD, and has no medical use.

At the time (before partial legalization), proponents of legalization argued that fully decriminalizing marijuana was the only sure way to create a legal market. If cannabis is simply downgraded to Schedule 2, 3 or 4, it will end up in the same category as substances such as oxycodone or ketamine, undermining hopes of developing recreational sales.​

Le5R8dNI7a

The past year has been a tumultuous period of cannabis policy reform in the United States. Conflicting interests have collided in one of the country's fastest growing industries. As early as 2024, legal marijuana sales will exceed $50 billion thanks to new adult-use markets in several states. Yet cannabis still remains federally illegal in some states, and thousands of people continue to serve sentences for drug-related offenses.

Against this backdrop, an unexpected trend is emerging: there is a growing debate among cannabis advocates about whether it is correct to legalize marijuana at all, or whether it is not as easy as it seems. Their concerns center on who will actually benefit from
federal regulation of the industry.

If cannabis is relegated only to the
Controlled Substances Act and becomes treated as a medicine, it could, according to activists, allow big pharmaceutical companies to control the market. In addition, in the event of federal legalization in all states, it is feared that conglomerates such as Amazon would quickly take the lead in the adult-use market.​

OeagpEvDIn

Some activists have long campaigned against legalization bills. In the 2022 midterm elections, progressive cannabis advocates opposed Issue 4 in Arkansas, an amendment that was largely funded by medical marijuana. They argued that it would create a monopoly of existing medical companies in the adult-use cannabis market and limit new entrants.

Critics note that the proposal lacks social equity provisions that would ensure people of color and those with misdemeanor marijuana convictions participate in the legal industry.
The Issue 4 amendment does not propose destroying records of prior offenses, instead it is intended to direct a portion of tax revenue to law enforcement.

Ultimately, despite one poll in September showing support for legalization among a majority of Arkansas voters, 56% voted against the amendment on Election Day.​

MRNQbLfG3g

«I support regulation. It's a safety issue. However, when regulation is transformed into a fight for profit, it causes serious problems» — said Tyler McFadden, a board member of the cannabis reform organization BOWL PAC and former policy partner of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

McFadden suggests that legalizing marijuana at the federal level in all states would shift funds to big pharmaceutical companies with no real impact on addressing the negative effects that decades of prohibition has brought — especially for communities of color who have been subjected to disproportionate and
discriminatory enforcement of drug laws.

«Legalization only fills the pockets of wealthy people who have never faced jail time or harsh police action. The existing community of supporters of the law should be criticized» — he says.​
XjzC3QV9ro

As Brown et al. argue, restrictions on cannabis business licenses, such as those proposed by Arkansas lawmakers, are becoming increasingly common and actually limit access to the industry. They do this by allowing only a few who can afford to obtain expensive permits, while much of the market falls into the hands of large companies and multistate operators.

«It’s not surprising that some groups have refused to support legalization, because if such a law is passed, it will take many years of reforms to open up the market to small businesses. I am in favor of legalization, but not in this format» — he says.

Reformers also express dissatisfaction with the position of some multistate medical operators who consider marijuana a dangerous drug requiring strict controls. Brown notes: «Multistate operators desire the legalization of cannabis but use its stigma to create monopoly markets. Lawmakers say they need to regulate it tightly and turn over management to a few competent people' and corporations manipulate it to their advantage».​

CBFJkEqNws

It's been nearly a decade since a majority of Americans first expressed support for cannabis legalization. Since then, support for the idea has grown among the public, and according to an April 2021 Pew Research Center poll, 88% of American adults favor some form of legalization. Twenty-four states have already legalized recreational marijuana, and with Biden's statements, it seems like only a matter of time before the federal government lifts marijuana prohibition.

However, there are many issues that need to be resolved, from banking regulations to which agencies should regulate cannabis and whether there should be an automatic write-off.

In practice, full legalization of cannabis has proven to be piecemeal and at times frustrating for those advocating for reform in this area.

McFadden cites Virginia's fledgling legalization program as an example of failure. There are only four licensed cannabis companies in the state, and all are owned by conglomerates from other regions. Local entrepreneurs and small businesses tend to be excluded from the industry.

«In my opinion, Virginia is seriously screwed because the law is focused solely on corporate interests» — McFadden says.​

ZO0lWCLuhS

Additionally, the Safe Banking and Fairness Enforcement (SAFE) Act was removed in the latest Congressional spending bill, a disappointment to cannabis advocates. At this time, several legislative initiatives are moving forward with the hope that bipartisan efforts will lead to full legalization of cannabis at the federal level (in all states) in the coming years.

The most recent bill under consideration, the
Preparing Regulators for a Regulated Adult Post-Prohibition Environment (PREPARE) Act, put the Attorney General in charge of developing a regulatory framework for legalizing marijuana at the federal level.

In 2021, Amazon reaffirmed its support for federal legalization of marijuana and announced it would stop testing employees for the presence of cannabis. The policy was warmly received by reform advocates, but has raised concerns about the company's possible ambition to take the lead in the legal cannabis sector once it is legalized at the federal level.​

ACUxcnytbj

According to an Amazon spokesperson who previously told the Washington Post, the company's primary motivation is not to sell cannabis, but to want to expand its workforce.

If cannabis is legalized at the federal level in all states, lawmakers may have concerns about possible monopolization by large national corporations,
notes Shaleen Title, executive director of the Parabola Center, a cannabis policy think tank.

Title is the author of a study on preventing monopolies in the marijuana market, where she warns that big business dominance could threaten the existing industry. She emphasizes that the recent wave of consolidation and high barriers to entry could lead to a national market controlled by only a few companies.

Title expresses concern that tobacco and alcohol corporations are quietly trying to exert control over the legal cannabis market.​

ZmtKpPRHsa

For example, the nonprofit organization Coalition for Cannabis Policy, Education and Regulation (*****EAR) is seeking to create a comprehensive federal regulatory framework for cannabis and is funded by a number of tobacco and alcohol brands, including Altria (parent company of Philip Morris USA), Molson Coors, Constellation Brands and the National Association of Convenience Stores.

The coalition includes respected industry figures including Andrew Friedman, former cannabis market leader in Colorado, and Shanita Penny, former president of the
Minority Cannabis Business Association.

The combination of funding from tobacco and alcohol companies and the coalition's authoritative composition has observers concerned about the potential impact the group could have on supporting big business interests.​

ZItTgLsDAN

Research shows that the tobacco industry has a history of targeting youth and marginalized communities, including black communities. If big tobacco companies influence federal cannabis policy, it would be a disastrous scenario for marijuana reform advocates worried about issues related to harm reduction, Title states.

Tobacco companies deceive the public, manipulate scientific data, and hide the harm their products cause. We don't want them dealing with public health issues.

Despite concerns that federal legalization could lead to negative consequences due to the dominance of corporate interests. Reformers should move forward aggressively with lessons learned from failures in social equity and criminal justice reform at the state level.

If we have a clear idea of what legalization should look like, it will be easier to create a fair market, and Canada can serve as a model for federal regulation in the United States.​

ZTz9cSD1Lt

Right now, thousands of people are in prison for misdemeanor possession or distribution offenses, or for using such paraphernalia. These people should be at home with their families, contributing to the economy and living without the burden of a criminal record that forces them to lead undeserved lives.

Lawmakers can create effective cannabis policy, especially if they listen to activists rather than lobbyists and specialized groups. We need to recognize what works effectively and stop giving in to corporate interests. This is a brand new industry that may be susceptible to corruption over time, but we should not start there.​

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
It's insane that one state allows recreational Marijuana and the state beside it, Marijuana is in a category with lsd, mushrooms nbomes and 2c's.but one thing is sure, those in illegal states are benefiting from the recreational states. Just drive across the border and here's a brick and motor store that has 100 strains at least and everything else you might like. Psst. Hey, your not supposed to smoke it. Vaping only 🤭. In my state at the beginning or the recreational Marijuana debate, a couple of beurocrats penned legislation that seemed to suggest that only one or two corporate entities would he allowed to produce it. 😂 these people are stupid. As it sits, I can grow it in my flower bed or in my closet. I never thought I would see this day. What's sad is I don't find it that enjoyable in age. I keep some around, but I only smoke ..a joint a week. Mynwife is chiefing it up though. She says the stuff they recommend her doesn't give her a panic attack, like most weed. Yeah, it might be psychological.

prophet

See my products
Seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
When I was much *****er and didnt know any better I was always one of those who would wear a t shirt that said legalize it. I was raised in the business, 2nd generation, 3rrd I am told but I have never been given those details. All I know is that all my life the gas in the car and my lunch money for shool came from weed. I learned at a ***** age the value of weed and of how to grow it, sell it, and other things.9 out of every 10 people that I grew up with or the generation that trained me are all now out of the business, and that hasnt been by choice. Those chosen to by the states after paying thousands upon thousands of dollars just to apply with no guarantee you would get a liscense to grow, or sell, etc.a majority were all people who had never sold ajoint in their life and they may have had a degree in business or whatever, but they have taken something they knew little about and did not even seek council from those of us who were already doing it all our lives. They run it like any other big business, like a damn 7-11. I have been working for almost a decade now to position myself where I can do what I love to do and was always good at without having to worry about the state saying "you cant sell that without a license! Its illegal" Yea well its illegal for them too but they get away with it. In my opinion all the recreational dispensaries should be burned, I have no issue with medical, but paying taxes to the very people who used to arrest us for possession, or for making a living off of it is ridiculous in my opinion. Not all places as I understand it have had prices double because of legalization but where I am they have. The weed I see people smoke now, just because it has some name brand on the label and tells you all the THC percentages etc is not really that much better than some of the homegrown that I have smoked and seen grown for many years. Most of the *****er generation would rather drive 30 minutes to stand in line and pay 100$ for a qtr oz, or if they catch a sale maybe get an ounce for 200 instead of going and supporting a local seller, the few who are left, and who certainly need the money. I have even people who never smoked until it was legalized, and they will likely never experience what it was like going to your local weed mans place, sitting down and passing around a joint or two while he puts your bag or bags on the scale in front of you and lets you see it after having already tried it. When I was much *****er and didnt know any better I was always one of those who would wear a t shirt that said legalize it. I was raised in the business, 2nd generation, 3rrd I am told but I have never been given those details. All I know is that all my life the gas in the car and my lunch money for shool came from weed. I learned at a ***** age the value of weed and of how to grow it, sell it, and other things.9 out of every 10 people that I grew up with or the generation that trained me are all now out of the business, and that hasnt been by choice. Those chosen to by the states after paying thousands upon thousands of dollars just to apply with no guarantee you would get a liscense to grow, or sell, etc.a majority were all people who had never sold ajoint in their life and they may have had a degree in business or whatever, but they have taken something they knew little about and did not even seek council from those of us who were already doing it all our lives. They run it like any other big business, like a damn 7-11. I have been working for almost a decade now to position myself where I can do what I love to do and was always good at without having to worry about the state saying "you cant sell that without a license! Its illegal" Yea well its illegal for them too but they get away with it. In my opinion all the recreational dispensaries should be burned, I have no issue with medical, but paying taxes to the very people who used to arrest us for possession, or for making a living off of it is ridiculous in my opinion. Not all places as I understand it have had prices double because of legalization but where I am they have. The weed I see people smoke now, just because it has some name brand on the label and tells you all the THC percentages etc is not really that much better than some of the homegrown that I have smoked and seen grown for many years. Most of the *****er generation would rather drive 30 minutes to stand in line and pay 100$ for a qtr oz, or if they catch a sale maybe get an ounce for 200 instead of going and supporting a local seller, the few who are left, and who certainly need the money. I have even people who never smoked until it was legalized, and they will likely never experience what it was like going to your local weed mans place, sitting down and passing around a joint or two while he puts your bag or bags on the scale in front of you.
How many old school people do you imagine were asked about the business when legislation was being drafted, or how many people who had already spent decades running a business were allowed to get in or in most cases could even afford to pay the ridiculous amounts required to even apply to grow, sell, or even run a transport business providing the link between the growers and the dispensaries. Most of the little guys never had a chance to get into the "legal" business and for those who were able I applaud you, but I wonder is it as enjoyable as it was before or has it just became another annoying 9-5 that requires so much of your time effort and energy just to pay the state their cut at the end of it alll?